Are you looking for a way to sharpen your driving skills and get a refresher on the rules of the road? The AARP Smart Driver Course is the nation’s first educational driving program designed for individuals aged 50 and older. The course not only teaches proven driving techniques that will help keep you and your loved ones safe, but also it reviews your knowledge of the rules and hazards of the road. Also, in many states, drivers may benefit from a discount on their auto insurance premium upon completing the course.
Additionally, the AARP Smart Driver Course covers:
- Research-based safe driving strategies
- Information on the effects of medication on driving
- Age-related physical changes and how to adjust your driving to compensate
- Preventive measures to reduce driver distractions
- Proper use of safety belts, air bags, anti-lock brakes, and new technology found in cars today
- Techniques for handling left turns, right-of-way, and roundabouts
- State-specific rules and regulations in 19 key ares, including construction zones, child safety seats, school buses, cellphone use, and more
- Easy-to-follow format incorporating adult-learning principles
The AARP Smart Driver Course is offered online on AARP’s website. If you do not have access to a computer, the Smart Driver Course is also offered at our local Senior Centers. Please check out our Events Calendar as well as our Senior Center Pages to see when and where the next course is being held.
For more information on the Smart Driver Course, please visit AARP’s website.