While you’re grocery shopping for your next summer picnic, consider the following fruits that’ll help you fight inflammation naturally. Inflammation of the body is your immune system’s response to what it considers potentially harmful, such as bacteria, viruses, wounds, or chemicals. Conditions that cause inflammation include cystitis, an inflammation of the bladder; dermatitis, an inflammation of the skin; or arthritis, an inflammation of the joints.
Most of these fruits are packed with anthocyanin, a flavonoid that makes up pigments of blue to red in these juicy foods. Anthocyanin also possesses anti-inflammatory properties so strong that some researchers compare the effects with nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) such as ibuprofen.
“These 5 fruits will help your body fight inflammation naturally.”
- Tart cherries: Thanks to their high anthocyanin content, tart cherries have been proven to help relieve joint pain and gout symptoms.
- Strawberries: Studies indicate that consuming 16 or more strawberries per week can lower your body’s C-reactive protein, which is linked to inflammation that accompanies arthritis and heart disease. Strawberries are also high in anthocyanin and folic acid.
- Red raspberries: Raspberries have been shown to reduce inflammation throughout the entire body. When a regular part of the diet, raspberries also help prevent a number of chronic conditions, such as heart disease, stroke, and type 2 diabetes.
- Watermelon: Not only is watermelon rich in antioxidants that protect against certain cancers, research suggests this summer favorite can also improve risk factors for cardiovascular disease by lowering inflammation. Watermelon is also high in beta-cryptoxanthin, which can reduce the risk for rheumatoid arthritis.
- Dried plums: The unique potency of dried plums has been shown to prevent bone loss and restore bone, likely because of their antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
This Health & Wellness article is brought to you by Western Connecticut Health Network.