Welcome to our new series which will shine a spotlight on our local Senior Centers and the wonderful work they do. First up in this series is the Brookfield Senior Center.
The Brookfield Senior Center seeks to improve the quality of life for Brookfield senior citizens through social, educational, physical, creative and intergenerational programs.
Many of their virtual offerings include support groups, fitness classes, opportunities for connecting with others, educational programs, and more. To learn more, visit: agewellct.org/brookfield.
A MESSAGE FROM THE DIRECTOR
From Ellen Melville, February 2021: There is light at the end of the tunnel. Be patient. At the time of publication, the Senior Center remains closed to the public due to the high rate of COVID-19 cases in our community. Please know that while our building is closed, our services are still open! Call the Center for any questions you may have or services you may need, and read this newsletter for information on how you can stay connected, stay active and stay creative during the winter months! We have lots of exciting virtual and grab and go programs for you. Keep in touch, keep moving and stay safe!
- Let’s Talk: This friendly group continues to gather and talk virtually. Contact the center for sign-in information.
- AARP Tax Return Assistance: Currently the AARP Tax Program will NOT be operating at Brookfield Senior Center in 2021. There are virtual options available: Danbury VITA or IRS Free File.
- Writer’s Salon: Creating your Story, One Week at a Time: Continuing through March 23. There is still time to join this program. Eight weeks remain in this adventure in creating YOUR story. One of the best gifts anyone could give a child, a family member or a friend is a collection of memories of your life. A vignette of short stories of sorts, your words are a snapshot of your history and we want to gather them for you.
- Crafting with Candlewood – Valentine Cards on Monday, February 8th: Our friends at Candlewood Valley Rehab are back with a wonderful card making kit for Valentine’s Day. Be sure to sign up early as numbers are limited. Please pick up between 1-2 p.m. Use the enclosed reservation form to sign up for this activity. Sign up early as numbers are limited!
- Chinese New Year “In a Box” on Wednesday, February 10 @ 11:00am: Join us in celebrating the year of the Ox! Even while we can’t gather in large groups, we can still party together, separately. Thank you to our friends at The Village at Brookfield Commons who are sponsoring this event. Pickup is Wednesday, February 10th.
- Senior Center Virtual Book Club on Wednesday, February 24 @ 1:00pm: This month we will be reading News of the World by Paulette Jiles. New members are always welcome! This is a great way to meet new friends who share similar interests during this time of social isolation. If you need assistance using zoom so you can access the group, please contact the center in advance so we can assist you.