Welcome to our new series which will shine a spotlight on our local Senior Centers and the wonderful work they do. Today we are featuring the New Milford Senior Center.
The New Milford Senior Center offers a variety of programs and activities in health and wellness, nutrition, education, social opportunities, and recreation. They also offer transportation services and two Municipal Agents/Senior Service Advisors available for New Milford senior residents. To learn more, visit: agewellct.org/newmilford.
A MESSAGE FROM THE DIRECTOR
And here we are… over a year from our initial halting of in person programs and activities, but we’re happy to say that the light at the end of the tunnel is more visible than before! Over the next few weeks, New Milford Town Buildings are beginning to open to the public and that means that the Senior Center will also be in line to reopen our doors. We ask that during this time, continue to bear with us with patience and understanding as will begin phasing in our inperson programs and activities. Since this is a public building, we will still have to strictly adhere to all health and safety protocols such as social distancing, controlled room capacities, and mask wearing despite being vaccinated (with specific exceptions). It’s been a long time coming and we are excited and looking forward to our reopening. We truly cannot wait to see you all again when it is safer to do so and when YOU are ready to rejoin us at the New Milford Senior Center!
All of us at the New Milford Senior Center
COVID-19 VACCINE INFORMATION FOR INDIVIDUALS 65+
The Town of New Milford is happy to announce our upcoming COVID-19 Vaccine Clinics for essential workers and 18+ individuals! To register click here. While our vaccine offering will vary at each clinic, please remember; the vaccine that will work best for you is the one available to you! For eligibility, registration & vaccine clinic information click here.
- Finding Your Voice: Transformation Through Trauma – Wednesday, April 14th @ 1:00pm – Kate Callahan is a Central Connecticut State University alum and mentor. Kate’s connection to teaching and mentoring others began after sustaining a life-altering brain injury on a ski slope in southern Vermont – that’s when she took to the guitar to start over. Little did she know that her first “G-chord” would accelerate her recovery and set her on a course to becoming an award-winning songwriter.
- Rock N’ Rollin’ Spring Fling – Saturday, April 17th @ 11:00am – AARP is teaming up with Daybreaker, the global morning dance movement, to sponsor this free online dance event. It begins with an interactive stretching and meditation lesson, followed by The Swayzees kicking off the dance party and The Vintage DJ spinning sock hop classics. Don’t miss live performances from Chubby Checker and Postmodern Jukebox.
- The Art of Aging – Wednesday, April 21st @ 6:30pm – In this class we’ll review what biological, psychological, and social research has taught us about growing older. Along the way, we’ll discuss what’s common with aging (everybody shrinks a little), what’s not normal (Alzheimer’s is a disease not everyone gets), and key components of successful aging (friends and family are important, but perhaps in different ways). The trajectory of aging gets shaped very early in life, but there are powerful forces that guide it along the way, and steps you can take to maximize your later years.
- New Milford’s Drug Take Back Day – Tuesday, April 27th @ 10am to 2pm – Safely dispose of your unwanted, unneeded, or expired prescription drugs and over the counter medications to help protect your families and our community!
- Applications for Homeowner’s Tax Credit – If you turned 65 or were deemed Social Security Disabled in the year 2020, you may qualify for this program. The new State income limits for 2021 are $37,600 for individuals and $45,800 for married couples. If you think you may qualify, please call the Senior Center and make an appointment with one of the Senior Services Counselors. The filing period ends on May 15, 2021.
NEW MILFORD SENIOR CENTER INFORMATION