Welcome to our new series which will shine a spotlight on our local Senior Centers and the wonderful work they do. Today we are featuring Newtown Senior Center.
The Newtown Senior Center serves as a community focal point providing programs and services for our older citizens with a place to gather in a friendly environment where they may participate in social, cultural and educational activities, enhance independent living, and support mental, physical and social well-being. To learn more, visit: agewellct.org/newtown.
A MESSAGE FROM THE NEWTOWN SENIOR CENTER
Newtown is thrilled to be reopening our doors for in-house programs in our Senior Center, as of May 3, 2021. We look forward to welcoming our members back to enjoy classes, group activities, listening to speakers, and social events with friends old and new. We also understand this has been a challenging year as our community and the world has navigated the pandemic, and some of our beloved members are not yet ready to return to indoor events. As such we will continue to offer outdoor and virtual programming and “drive-in” experiences. We look forward to days when our building is bustling with activity again! If you have not joined us yet, come by for a tour and to pick up our newsletter. The Newtown Senior Center team looks forward to meeting you!
- Tai Chi – April 24th, May 15th, and June 5th @ 1:30-2:15pm – Join us for Tai Chi and make every movement count as you connect mind, body, and spirit at the Catherine Violet Hubbard Animal Sanctuary on April 24th, May 15th, and June 5th. Tai Chi is a slow-moving martial art that can improve balance & coordination, increase blood flow, build strength and relieve stress. This is an outdoor program suitable for all levels & styles & ages. Registration is $25. Sign up at CVHFoundation.org.
- Pop-up Craft Boutique– May 8, 15, and 22nd 8:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m. @ the Newtown Community Center. Come see the amazing crafts made by our Crafting Crew and pick up something for yourself or someone special, while supporting the Senior Center.
- Mother’s Day Drive Thru– Friday, May 7th @ 1:00 p.m. Call to register for your special Mother’s Day gift as we celebrate all of our amazing mothers & grandmothers!
- Drive-in Lunch & Learn– Friday, May 28th @ 12 p.m.– Movement Mindfulness with Exercise Physiologist Debi Congiglio. Call to reserve your parking spot and lunch.
- Drive-in Speaker– Wednesday, May 19th @ 2:00 p.m.– Music of the 50’s and 60’s and its impact on America. Call to reserve your parking spot.
- Drive-in Speaker– Friday, May 26th @ 2:00 p.m. The History of Japan. Call to reserve your parking spot.
- Welcome to Medicare – June 23, 2021 @ 3:00 pm – Learn about signing up for Medicare! This virtual medicare fair is for people turning 65 or joining Medicare because of a disability. Learn about Medicare – and all its parts – to assist you in your initial enrollment decisions. There is no cost to attend. Get trusted, unbiased Medicare education to help you make choices that best meet your needs.
- Tai Chi under the Tree with Audra- Mondays @ 10:00 am (in person and on Zoom)– This class encourages balance, subtle flexibility, body awareness, improving stress reduction, balance, agility and focus.
- Chicken Soup for the Soul- Mondays @11:00 a.m.– Woman’s discussion group, come to discuss recipes, family traditions, and woman’s issues.
- Broadway Burn with Mat – Mondays & Wednesdays @11:00am – Join Mat for a Broadway Burn workout, a high energy dance fitness workout inspired by Broadway. The class includes many different musical styles from various shows and films. This event is held virtually via Zoom.
- Billiards- Mondays @ 11:00 a.m., Thursdays @ 2:30 p.m., & Fridays @ 2:00 p.m.
- Morning Meditation with Claudia- Tuesdays at 9:00 a.m. (in person and on Zoom)
- Coffee and Conversation – Tuesdays @ 11:30am & Thursdays @ 12:00pm – Join fellow Senior Center members and staff for great conversation and laughs over coffee. This event is held virtually via Zoom.
- Crafting Crew- Wednesdays @ 10:00 a.m. & Fridays @ 10:00 a.m. – Come join the fun and create amazing crafts. The crew is looking for crafters, no skills needed.
- Chair Pilates with Claudia- Thursdays @ 9:00 a.m. (indoor and on Zoom)– Chair based fitness program which improves balance and posture. Works spinal flexion, extension, and side banding through different stretching positions.
- Spanish Lessons with Louise- Thursdays @ 10:30– New members invited!
- Chair Yoga with Eileen- Thursdays @ 1:00 p.m. (indoor and on Zoom)
- Move & Groove with Eileen- Fridays @ 9:00 a.m. (Zoom only)– Low impact moves harkening back to the early days of aerobics with some weight work and freestyle moves.
- Knitting Group with Jane- Fridays @ 12:00 p.m.
SERVICES & RESOURCES
- Newtown Meals on Wheels – Nutritional meals (regular and special) are delivered at a reasonable cost. To inquire about becoming a meal recipient call Marilyn at 203-426-6340 orJanet at 203-270-1960.
- Chore Service Program – Friends of Newtown Seniors (FONS) has developed a program to assist seniors in being able to remain in their homes independently, safely and comfortably. Chore Services can help seniors with a variety of chores around the house at no charge, although donations are accepted. FONS is also seeking additional volunteers who would like to participate in this program. For more information, contact Chore Services Coordinator, Bev Bennett Schaedler at 203-430-0633 or [email protected]
- AARP Driver Safety – This Driver Safety course teaches proven driving techniques to help keep you and your loved ones safe on the road. AARP is extending its closure of in-person events, including the Smart Driver courses, until September 1, 2021. However, the Smart Driver course can still be taken online at: www.aarpdriversafety.org. Taking the course this way can allow people to retain the discount on their car insurance.
For all current virtual and in-house programs, see the Newtown Senior Center’s latest newsletter.