Welcome to our new series which will shine a spotlight on our local Senior Centers and the wonderful work they do. Today we are featuring Woodbury Senior Center.
The Woodbury Senior Center serves as a community focal point providing information, programs, services and links to promote independent living for adults at least 60 years of age.
A MESSAGE FROM THE WOODBURY SENIOR CENTER
Thanks for taking a closer look at Woodbury Senior Center. We are a warm and welcoming place for seniors who are looking for ways to connect with others and the community. As of June 1st, the Senior Center is open weekdays from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm and we hope you’ll visit our website or stop by soon. See for yourself why so many people love this Center. From gourmet coffee at our Patio Café to our national award winning Ukulele Band, from in-person activities and virtual programs to massage therapy, health clinics and lifelong learning programs. There is something for everyone here. Some activities are by appointment only, please contact us with any questions. We look forward to meeting you soon.
Loryn Ray, MPH
- FREE CONCERT – Sunday, June 13th @ 2:00pm – You are invited to a free outdoor concert at the Senior Center, sponsored by the Friends of the Woodbury Senior Community Center. The concert will feature live music by The Berkshire Jazz Orchestra, a 17-piece ensemble composed of Fairfield County musicians. The BJO presents big band selections which represent classic titles by Glenn Miller, Duke Ellington and Count Basie. The BJO hopes to chase away the COVID Blues and bring a smile to your face with music to “knock your socks off.”
- FLAG DAY DRIVE THROUGH BERRY SHORTCAKES – Monday, June 14 @ 1pm – Celebrate our flag with a red, white and blue berry shortcake (strawberries and blueberries) to go! Each person who participates will receive a fresh biscuit shortcake topped with sweetened berries and whipped cream. Free, but you must sign up by June 10 as quantities are limited.
- PAINTING CLASS – Thursday, June 17 @ 11:00am – Join Wendy Mutter (from the Lutheran Home of Southbury) for a relaxing afternoon of painting. This how-to-class is for beginner to intermediate painters. You will be using brushes and Q-Tips to paint. All are welcome. All materials will be provided for this free class, registration required.
- MEDICARE EDUCATIONAL SEMINAR – Friday, June 18th @ 1:00pm – Join Ray Manzi, AAI, CGFCM, CIC, from Manzi Insurance for a session where you can ask your questions about Medicare. Join us in person or you may also join on Zoom. Please call to sign up and we will send you the link.
- JUNE BREAKFAST SANDWICH PARTY HONORS THE MEN – Monday, June 21 @ 9am – This month, we’ll be honoring the men (but ladies, you are certainly invited!). Just $1 gets you a hot bacon, egg and cheese sandwich, and a hot beverage. Plus enjoy great company in our outdoor café and the chance for our men to win a prize fit for a dad. Please pre-order your sandwich by June 16th.
- GRAB AND GO CONGREGATE MEALS – New Opportunities, Inc. has brought back Congregate Lunches, as a Grab-and-Go option for seniors. This allows you to enjoy a Senior Dine style main meal of the day as a grab and go portion. Lunches will be available on Tuesdays and Thursdays, with pick up at the Center from 11:00am to 11:30am. Thank you to Annoula’s restaurant for making this option available for our congregate diners!
- BLOOD PRESSURE CLINIC – Get your blood pressure checked twice per month by a registered nurse from Pomperaug District Department of Health. This free service is available on the first and third Tuesdays of the month from 10:00am to 11:00am by appointment at the Center.
- VIRTUAL EXERCISE CLASSES – Join our instructors and get your body moving from the comfort of your home. Our offerings include Virtual Fitness Fury with Susan on Tuesdays and Thursdays, Cardio Dance with Andrea on Wednesdays and Fridays, Tai Chi with Susan on Wednesdays, and Balance Class (in person only) on Tuesdays.
- CURRENT EVENTS DISCUSSION GROUP – Wednesdays @ 11:30am – Come join this discussion group to share and discuss your thoughts on current events and breaking news. All points of view are welcome! This is a great way to begin respectful and meaningful conversations with your neighbors and peers about your community and world events. Facilitated and led by Penny o’ Connell on Wednesdays starting June 2nd through August 25th.
- PATIO CAFÉ – Open weekdays from 9am to 11am – Imagine a lovely summer morning, sunny with flowers in bloom. Now imagine sitting at a cute outdoor café with a friend and a cup of coffee, or maybe a cappuccino or espresso or hot tea. You don’t have to imagine any longer; enjoy our new Senior Center Patio Café! $1 per coffee or tea and your first cup is on us.